womens hockey sticks should be light weight and durable so that a player can play with it easily. A stick should be comfortable to hold and should have a firm grip so that a player has convenience during a game. Whipsports.com understands this fact and also that the comfort offered by an ice hockey stick largely depends upon the properties of the stick and therefore these properties have been discussed here.
• Lie –The lie of a stick refers to the angle between the shaft of the stick and its blade. While making a stick at whipsports.com, careful attention is paid to it so that the lie is appropriate to each player’s requirement. Generally, players prefer a lie near 5.5 while a goal keeper’s lie is usually between 11 and 15. These lie numbers are derived keeping in mind that a value of 5 corresponds to 135 degrees and each additional value refers to a 2 degrees smaller angle.
• Flex – It is also called bend, stiffness or whip and refers to the amount of force that must be applied on a stick to bend it for a certain amount. This characteristic is looked at as very important by many women ice hockey players.
• Blade pattern – It is also considered to be a very important property of a stick as each blade differs in thickness and length and can be customized as per player requirements. The parameters for blade designing are the curve, face, angle and toe.
• Illegal curves – To prevent any illegal curve, the sticks are designed with a curve of ½ to 3/4th of an inch so that the game remains competitive.
• Tape – Different types of differently colored tapes are used at the top of a shaft to enhance the grip of a player. As per comfort, it entirely depends upon a player’s choice the kind of tape that she will use.
Among all women’s hockey equipments, the stick is perhaps the most important gear and hence ample attention is given while making a stick for each individual player so that these points are well kept in mind.